Teeth Whitening Queen Creek, AZ
Your smile is the first impression you leave with those you meet. It can say a lot about you before you even have a chance to speak. Your teeth are a major component of your smile. When they are discolored, they not only affect the quality of your smile, they can leave the wrong impression. Discolored teeth often send the message that you are older than your true age, or that you neglect yourself. They can even affect your confidence, and leave you hiding your smile (or even refusing to smile at all!). At Marketplace Dental Excellence, we can give you back your whiter, brighter smile with teeth whitening.
Who is a Candidate for Teeth Whitening?
Your teeth consist of two layers, the enamel, and the dentin. The enamel is the hard, heavily mineralized, white outer layer that everyone sees. Over time, the enamel experiences microfractures, which allows the surface of your teeth to more easily catch and hold on to stains. There are several factors that can contribute to discoloration, all of which may make you eligible for teeth whitening:
- Certain foods and beverages. Certain foods and drinks that you consume contain a high concentration of dark pigments that stick to your teeth. These include curries, tomato-based sauces, dark berries, coffee, and tea.
- Cigarettes and other tobacco products. Cigarettes and other tobacco products contain thousands of chemicals. Two of these chemicals are directly responsible for discoloration – tar and nicotine. Tar is naturally dark in color, while nicotine is colorless until exposed to oxygen.
- Certain medications. Some asthma, allergy, and blood pressure medications can cause discoloration, as can medications such as tetracycline and doxycycline.
- Fluorosis. Excessive fluoridation of the teeth during development can discolor your teeth.
- Your age. As you get older, your enamel naturally wears away, allowing the darker dentin layer underneath to show through.
Take Home Trays
Teeth whitening is the number one cosmetic concern for most dental patients. For this reason, we offer a couple of different options for whitening. Our first is a take-home tray, which allows you to whiten on your own time in the comfort of your own home. We provide you with custom fit trays, which typically take two visits to receive. During your first visit, we take impressions of your mouth, which are then used to create your trays. If you have any dental restorations, these will need to be assessed as well. Restorations do not respond to whitening treatments, and if they are discolored, they may need to be replaced.
Upon your second visit, we check your trays to ensure that they fit properly, and make any adjustments if necessary. We will also provide you with the whitening gel, which is placed into the trays before being placed on your teeth. The trays are designed to be worn for two, separate, 30-minute intervals, or during the night while you sleep. It usually takes about a week for results to show.
In-Office Whitening with Zoom! Whitening
We also offer Zoom! whitening right here in our office. This treatment typically takes about an hour of your time. Before we begin, we clean your teeth and assess the condition of any restorations. We then use a lip retractor to hold your mouth open. A protective gel is placed along your gum line to prevent irritation. The bleaching agent, which contains hydrogen peroxide, is applied to your teeth. A special light is shone over your teeth for approximately 45 minutes. The light activates the hydrogen peroxide. As it breaks down, it attaches to stains (including deep, set in stains toward the dentin) and lifts them away. By the end of your treatment, your teeth may be up to 8 shades whiter.
Maintaining Your Results
While teeth whitening is a highly effective treatment, it is not permanent. You can, however, take measures to ensure the results last as long as possible:
- Avoid foods and drinks that stain, or consume them in moderation.
- Drink through a straw.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Quit smoking (or other tobacco products).
- Brush and floss every single day.
Visit the dentist at least twice a year for professional cleaning and exams.
Professional teeth whitening not only restores the bright white color to your tooth enamel, but it can also provide you with the extra boost of confidence you need. For more information on teeth whitening, and to schedule your appointment, call Marketplace Dental Excellence today at (480) 545-8700!